Cockroaches are rarely able to survive out of doors in the British climate but thrive around the heating ducts and boiler rooms of large centrally heated buildings.
Key Facts cockroaches
- Cockroaches are distinguished by their very long whip-like antennae, flat oval bodies and rapid, jerky walk.
- The adult German Cockroach is a light yellowy/brown and is 10 to 15mm long.
- The Oriental Cockroach is dark brown/black and is 20 to 24mm long. Immature stages of Cockroach, look exactly like adults, just on a smaller scale.
- There are two main species of cockroach in Britain, Oriental and German Cockroaches.
- The German Cockroach carries its egg case until the 30 or more nymphs are ready to hatch.
- They grow in stages, from nymphs to maturity in 6 to 12 months for the Oriental Cockroach, and 6 to 12 weeks for the German Cockroach.
WHY USE COCKROACH SERVICES
When foraging for food and water, Cockroaches can contaminate food, utensils, and preparation surfaces as they go. They taint food with an obnoxious smell and can be vectors of disease, capable of carrying the organisms which cause food poisoning in humans and many other bacteria.
Cockroaches can ruin an organisation’s reputation. If clients and customers spot evidence of cockroach infestation in the premises you manage, they are likely to complain and request a refund, report on your company negatively potentially resulting in closure by an Environmental Health officer, making it unlikely for some people to want to do business with you again.